Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Scary!

Michael and I had a pretty low-key, laidback Halloween weekend. Friday night we watched a movie with John and Amy, "Getting to the Greek," which had some pretty funny moments and definitely wasn't scary, which was one of my requirements for watching it. :)

I did some housework on Saturday while Michael and John test drove some cars (the Hyundai Genesis was a big hit) and pretended they were race car drivers. Then we hit the grocery store and made sure to get a couple bags of candy just in case some trick-or-treaters managed to find our door. Since we live on a flag lot and are tucked behind another house, I think that most people don't know we are there, which is nice in some ways, but not in others. I love giving out candy on Halloween, so not getting trick-or-treaters has been something I have wished we could change about where we live.

Sunday we each carved one of the small pumpkins we got with our CSA membership. It took longer than I remember--I guess it's been awhile since I last carved pumpkins--but we had fun and it really felt like Halloween to be scooping and scraping and carving scary faces.


We spent a few afternoon hours visiting Michael's Uncle Dick in Hillsboro. We've lived so close to him for the past 6 years and yet haven't gone over much to visit. So it was fun to catch up and listen to the two of them talk about their many shared interests: guitars, golf, pool, target shooting. I'm sure the list goes on! Hopefully, they'll be able to plan some excursions together in the near future.
We got home just after dusk and I set our pumpkins out so their spooky faces could glow from our front porch. I was concerned that Flynn would trip on one of them on his way outside and break a leg--or set our house on fire. Thankfully, neither of those things happened :) and Michael and I spent our evening watching scary movies. Although I normally don't want to watch them, I make an exception on Halloween itself, but they have to pass some pretty rigorous screening since they can't be too scary or I won't sleep. We watched one about a vampire that was fairly campy--more like a bad B movie than anything, but the next one we watched was much scarier. The movie was "The Deceiver" and was from 1997. It was good and scary in a Silence of the Lambs kind of way. But I only had to stay up for a little while after it was over before I could go to sleep, so it wasn't too bad.
At the end of the evening we hadn't had a single trick-or-treater but we still had a nice Halloween. And Michael has a whole lot of leftover candy--he scored quite a haul for someone who didn't even dress up! ;)








No comments: