Saturday, October 9, 2010

Uncle Tom's Birthday



My mom's youngest brother, Tom, lives in Reedley, CA, and usually only makes the trip to Oregon once a year at Christmas. But I think since my grandparents' health has begun declining in earnest, he is trying to come up to see them as often as he can. He helped my mom and her other brother and sister move my grandparents into the assisted living facility in April, and then he came up in September so they could help him celebrate his 50th birthday. I don't think my uncle could afford to bring my aunt and two cousins with him, so he made the trip alone via Amtrak.

He told my mom that the last time he'd had a birthday party, he was six years old and as he remembered, it hadn't been much fun. He had cried during most of it for some reason. My mom decided that he needed to make some new memories for his fiftieth birthday and she planned a party for him at an Abby's pizza parlor in Dallas.

Those of my extended family who could make it, did, and we had a good time chatting and just being together for a couple of hours.

The Birthday Boy and Grandma & Grandpa


Uncle Tom, Grandma, Grandpa, my mom, Uncle Martin and Aunt Kathy


My cousin, Ryan, and his baby girl, Ava


Uncle Marty, my mom, Aunt Kathy and Uncle Tom


It took a minute, but we finally got both of my grandparents to smile. :)




Everyone together


It was good seeing everyone, and especially Uncle Tom. I think he is planning to come again this Christmas and bring the rest of his family with him.

And I think he had a good birthday--there was no crying that I could see. :)

No comments: