Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our Weekend in The Dalles: Old Cars, Good Food and Family

Michael and I had a very busy three-day weekend in The Dalles that started last Friday and ended late Sunday night. The annual Hoffman Family Reunion was planned for the second Sunday in August, so we knew we'd be heading to The Dalles to attend--especially since we didn't go last year. Michael's parents invited us to come up early so that we could go to "Neon Nights," which is a parade of old cars and trucks, all in various stages of restoration, up and down the main streets of downtown The Dalles. The four of us had a front row seat for the festivities: we grabbed dinner at the new Taco Del Mar and sat at a table outside, munching burritos and watching the cars roll by. Michael's favorite car at the cruise-in was a 1969 Dodge Charger (made popular by a couple of rowdy cousins from Hazzard County). The one he liked most at the regular car show the next day was a Chevy Nova . . . he doesn't know what year it is, and doesn't care for the robin's egg blue color, but hey, if someone offered it to him, I don't think he'd say no. His dad (Ted) had an eye for a 1957 Thunderbird and a 1955 Ford hardtop . . . a huge car that was like one he owned as a kid. I fell in love with an old (40-something) Chevy that had beautiful curves and a striking silvery-gray paint job. The turquoise Volkswagen bug was also very nice. :) Michael doesn't think his mom had a favorite in the cruise-in, but she did own a 1965 Mustang Coupe back in the day. We watched the cars rumble down the street, revving their engines and peeling out for the spectators. Not a bad way to spend a Friday night . . .







The next day Michael and his dad worked on fixing the roof of a chicken coop for a customer while his mom and I checked out the little farmer's market in the city park. When I lived in The Dalles in the late '80's and early '90's, if you wanted to go to a farmer's market, your only option was Gresham. I'm happy to report that my little hometown has come into the modern era and now you can find fresh vegetables, fruits and flowers at the market every Saturday until 1pm. Donna (Michael's mom) even bought us a pint of some pure, raw snowberry honey from a farm in nearby Mosier.

We also visited the labyrinth up at Mid-Columbia Medical Center. I have wanted to walk a labyrinth for several months now but just haven't made it to any of the ones in the Portland area. My mom told me about the one at the hospital in The Dalles--apparently it has been there for a number of years. Mom said she should have gone and checked it out back when she was still working there. I told Donna that I really wanted to drive up and "walk it"and she went with me, not really knowing what it was all about. I was amazed at the beauty of the design and of the craftsmanship of the labyrinth. It looked like two kinds of granite was used. There was a stone marker near the entrance to the labyrinth that explained that it was a replica of the one at Chartres Cathedral in France. During the Middle Ages it was used by people who could not afford a pilgrimage to the Holy Land--in this way, they could still make the journey. The sign at the labyrinth in The Dalles invited people to enter with a clear mind. For me, walking the labyrinth is a powerful reminder of the journey that is my life. Just when I think I am reaching a "goal" or a milestone, my life changes and I keep walking--and learning. C'est la vie. :)








Michael's sister, Christy and her daughter, Jessica joined us Saturday night. Jessica loved watching Charlie (of course we brought him with us!!) and talking to him. By the time we went home on Sunday, she had already asked her mom if they could get a bird too. I found out that Jessica really likes looking at pictures. We looked at all of the ones on display in the living room and then Donna got out baby albums and we had fun looking at pictures of Jessica and her brother Ryan and remembering when they were both so much smaller.

Sunday morning was a bit hectic as Donna, Christy and I each prepared salads to take to the reunion. We were busy chopping and mixing and swapping out bowls. At one point I joked that it felt like we were in a cook-off! The guys had gone ahead to Sorosis Park to scope out some picnic tables and greet the first arrivals for the reunion.

It was a smaller gathering than it has been in the past, but it was fun nonetheless. The kids (both big and small) played horseshoes and everyone caught up on everyone else's lives and goings-on. Pictures were taken and hugs were given. Oh and food was eaten! There was such a smorgasbord of food--pasta and vegetable salads, baked bean casserole, sub sandwiches, the obligatory buckets of KFC, coleslaw, and desserts. Many people were chuckling over one of the cakes because the recipe called for a can of pork and beans. I didn't try the cake in question (I could not keep my hands off of Donna's zucchini bundt cake with cream cheese frosting!), but I thought it was an interesting notion. My other thought was just how bored does one have to be before experimenting with pork and beans in a cake recipe? :) Those crazy Hoffmans!

At the end of the day, Michael and I loaded Charlie's cage in the car and headed off into the sunset. We talked all the way home: about the people we'd seen, about the food we'd eaten and about our lives together. We'll see you next year, same time, same place, second Sunday in August.



Michael's cousin, Melissa, his sister, Christy, Michael and his cousin Tim at Sorosis Park.

No comments: