Saturday, December 4, 2010

Flynn Again




Flynn and I just got back from our trip to the vet, but didn't learn much about why he's suddenly not interested in his food.

The vet said that he doesn't have a fever, his abdomen isn't tender and his teeth look fine. He said we could do some bloodwork to see if there's a problem with his kidneys or his pancreas, or we can just wait and watch to see if any more symptoms arise. The other idea (and one that seems most likely to me) is that it's related to Flynn's doggie dementia. The vet described it as a switch being flipped in Flynn's brain that is now making him more picky about eating. This theory was strengthened when, at the end of the exam, the vet offered Flynn a couple of doggie treats. Flynn sniffed them, then turned his head away. I pulled a different type of treat out of my pocket and he gobbled it right up.
"Well," the vet said, "he certainly knows what he wants." I had to laugh because the old Flynn would not have been so discerning. To him, a treat was a treat--anything edible was a treat for that matter. It seems we now have a picky eater on our hands. But if that's all it is, I'll take it and be glad.






No comments: