Saturday, June 26, 2010

Kristine's Graduation / Spokane Road Trip

One of my half-sisters, Kristine, graduated from high school on Friday, June 11. It would have taken something extreme for Michael and I to miss such an important event, so we packed up the car, left Flynn in the hands of a quality kennel, and took off for my birthplace: Spokane, Washington.

Kristine, and another of my half-sisters, Madison, have lived their whole lives in Spokane, but I left at an early age. I think I was about two years old when my mom and I moved from Spokane to Salem to be near my grandparents. I have only been there a handful of times as an adult and it had been about four years since my last visit. Kristine, Madison and I were all born at Deaconess Hospital and it was one of the first things Michael and I saw after we cruised into town.

We were cutting it close in terms of making it to Kristine's graduation, but decided we had enough time to grab a bite to eat at Carl's Jr (thankfully, they have salads!). As we pulled into the parking lot, I was remarking to Michael "I was born here, you know," meaning the city of Spokane, when I looked up and saw Deaconess Hospital looming large on the hill right in front of us. I started laughing and pointing, saying, "That's where I was born--right there!!" It took Michael a moment to put together what I was saying and then he laughed too. We both thought how funny it was that we happened to see the hospital at the exact moment I was talking about being born in Spokane. Too funny.

The graduation was being held at a large auditorium not far from the Carl's Jr. and we made it just in time. I ended up changing my clothes in the car, since we didn't have time to check in to our motel before the ceremony, but I think I did a pretty good job of it--hopefully not too many passersby got an eyefull! ;)

This trip was important not only because we would see Kristine graduate from high school (a huge accomplishment in its own right, and made even more so by the fact that she has overcome some pretty tough times in her personal life), but because my extended family on my father's side would be there to commemorate her achievement as well. My aunt Bev flew in from Denver, CO, and my aunt Betty from her home in Salem, OR. Another of my aunts lives close by in Spokane Valley and she would be there as well. Madison would be there too, with her mom and her sister, Marion. And Kristine would have her brother Casey there, as well as many friends wishing her well. All together we would make quite a cheering section!

We didn't get to talk to Kristine until after the ceremony, but everyone pointed her out to us as the girl with the long, platinum blond hair. Once I saw her in the crowd of her classmates, it was pretty easy to find her again. Her hair was blond--almost white! I thought it looked nice on her and admired her for her bravery . . . I have never been so daring.

Me, Kristine and Madison

Casey and Kristine

We were pretty tired after the ceremony, and Kristine had an all-night senior party to attend, so Michael and I headed off to find our motel and get a good night's sleep.

The next afternoon, we all met up at a favorite park to have a picnic and celebrate with Kristine.
Casey provided sandwiches, cookies, a couple different salads, beverages and of course, a graduation cake. It was quite a spread!


She looked mighty proud of that diploma--and we were mighty proud of her.


Michael, Bev, Kristine, Betty, Marion & Madison

After the picnic, Michael and I headed to downtown Spokane to check out the Davenport Hotel, which Aunt Bev said boasted a candy shop famous for its soft peanut brittle. We met her, Betty and Madison there and had fun walking through the grand old hotel. I sent my mom a picture text showing the hotel and she wrote back, saying that she had had a job interview there some 30+ years ago to be an elevator operator. This was back before the hotel's renovation. She was offered the job but had already accepted a position with a different company. It was neat to have that little bit of trivia from my mom's history and to associate it with the beautiful hotel we were touring. Michael and I were amazed to discover that a night at the Davenport was only about $30 more than we were paying to stay at the Holiday Inn Express . . . we couldn't believe it, given how luxurious the lobby of the Davenport was compared to our simple room at the Holiday Inn. Needless to say, we definitely know where we will be staying on our next visit to Spokane!

We found the candy shop and Michael and I ended up buying sampler packs for our dads in preparation for Father's Day--ours are both hard to buy for, but both have a sweet tooth, so we figured we would be good with candy samplers. :)


The picture Maddie liked best of the ones I took of her and Bev.


That night we went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant that had been one of my father's favorites. Kristine and Madison both remember him taking them there on many occasions. After our food came, I could see why he liked it--everything was amazingly good! I had my first taste of tempura and Aunt Bev said it was the best she had ever eaten. We spent a wonderful time talking and sharing stories and memories. I listened intently and wished more than one time that I was writing everything down. I don't have many memories of my father and it is always interesting to me (and very bittersweet) when I get together with that side of my family and hear stories about him. The girls learned some things from my aunts about how he was as a child, and my aunts learned more about how he was as an adult, and I learned both! :) It was a good time all around.


Donna, Michael, Madison, Betty, Bev, Kristine


The aunts and the nieces

Before we left the next morning to go home, Michael and I met Betty, Bev and the girls at an IHOP for breakfast. We had one last round of picture-taking and then they were off for a day and a night in Leavenworth, WA, and we were headed back down the highway.


It was so fun to visit with my aunts again and for them to get to know Michael and vice versa. Can't wait to do it again!

It was only the third time I have seen Kristine and Madison, and I was glad to get to know them a little better. I am very proud of the young women they both are and are becoming, and I know our father would be too.


No comments: