Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Sunday

Michael and I had a very full day last Sunday. We had plans to have lunch with friends in Albany, then head to Dallas to visit my grandparents in their new apartment, then hopefully meet up with my parents somewhere in between. We decided to leave Flynn at home seeing as he has trouble getting in and out of our little backseat, and we figured he wouldn't much like being left by himself in the car while we were visiting everyone on our list. That meant we had to be gone a maximum of 8 hours because I just didn't think Flynn's bladder (albeit gargantuan in both size and strength) could hold out much longer than that and frankly, I didn't want to put it to the test.

Michael and I made a pit stop at the Freddy's near the entrance to I-5 so I could buy a little Easter something for Miss Morgan. Then we hit the road and made such good time to Albany that we were there by 12:30pm.

We met my high school friend Terry (he lived across the street from us in The Dalles) and his son Jaden for lunch at Jaden's favorite place to eat--Izzy's. The place was packed with families dressed to the nines for the holiday with little girls in frilly dresses and little boys in slacks and sweaters running between the tables and chairs and babies crying at the tables. We caught up with Terry and Jaden in between frequent trips to the buffet and salad bar, and when we were done, we saw them off on Terry's very fancy (and fast!) new motorcycle.

Then we swung over to Albany General where Lindsey just happened to be on her lunch break. :) We spent some time talking to her, then drove the few blocks to her house to see if Morgan and her dad were home. We were puzzled when we got there, because the lights and television were on, and the car was in the driveway, but no one answered my knock at the door. I was writing a note to leave with the Easter surprises when they walked up the drive, and suddenly there was Morgan in her new Easter dress launching herself into my arms for a hug.

We only had time for a quick hello (and several more hugs!) before we were on the road again to Dallas. My parents had spent the week there with my mom's two brothers and sister, helping my grandparents move into an assisted living facility and sorting through the accumulated flotsam and jetsam of nearly 60 years of married life.

We found Grandma and Grandpa sitting in their cozy new living room with my mom and dad, chatting while they waited for us to arrive. I was pleased to see that most of their furniture fit in the two large rooms of their apartment. My grandma was particularly concerned that her buffet and her sewing machine would make the move with her; even though she isn't able to use it anymore, I was hoping the sewing machine would fit because I knew it would help her adjust to her new living situation and make her feel more at ease.

We took a tour of their apartment and then headed down the hallway to the dining room where coffee, tea and juice are available at any time of the day or night. As we sat sipping our drinks, an elderly lady came by to say hello to my grandparents and introduce herself to the rest of us. My grandma's eyes lit up and she clasped the lady's hand in hers as they talked. Grandma was clearly enjoying the social interaction that comes with moving to an assisted living facility. After the lady left, I joked with Grandma that it seemed a lot like living in a dorm--one had friends around to talk to whenever the mood struck, free drinks, and lots of activities going on all the time. All of the fun of dorm life and none of the homework. ;)

We only stayed a half hour or so, as Grandma and Grandpa wanted to rest before dinner. This is the first year that they have not wanted to gather with family for Easter dinner, choosing instead to spend some time alone after a hectic and unsettling week of change.

My parents and I drove to a nearby restaurant and had a quick dinner before heading to our own homes in Vancouver and Aloha. Before they left, they gave us a peek at their new-to-them motor home. It came in handy this past week, since they were able to sleep in it outside my grandparents' house, leaving room inside for other visiting family members.

Even though it was a brief visit all around, it was good to see everyone. I left Dallas feeling happy knowing that my grandparents are now being watched over and (hopefully!) they'll be able to relax and not worry about such things as meals, laundry and housework. Whenever I think of the assisted living facility that way, I am almost ready to move in myself!

We made it home uneventfully (exactly 8 hours after we left!) and Flynn made it through the whole day with no accidents.

Life is good.

No comments: