Saturday, February 20, 2010

Our Lives With Flynnigan

When people become first-time parents, they often talk about how their lives change, about how the dynamics of their relationships change and about how they change as people. While I can't pretend to say that having Flynn staying with us has caused a change in our lives as large as the change that having a human child might create--there has been a definite shift.

Michael and I talk a lot about Flynn. We discuss his digestion issues and marvel at how much poop one dog can make. We remark on the fact that he barks when one of us comes home after he has been at home alone all day, but otherwise rarely makes a sound other than his "peeping." We share stories of which of our neighbor's bushes is his favorite to pee on, and take bets on just how many trees, poles and mailbox posts he can mark before he runs out of fluids.

We share the responsibilities of caring for him--Michael administers his eye drops; I bathe him. Michael takes him for walks when he gets home from work in the afternoon, and I take him when I am off on Fridays. We both keep a constant eye on his water dish to make sure that he a) has enough to satisfy his seemingly endless thirst and b) does not drink so much that he will have an accident on the carpet while we are at work. We both give him abundant pats and hugs and praise and although he can't hear the words, I am fairly certain he feels them in his heart.

Michael and I agree that having Flynn is preparing us for being parents--we seem to be experiencing some of the same joy, worry, happiness and exhaustion that comes with that role. So far I find that we are mostly compatible in terms of a parenting team (a relief!), but I know that we will have much to learn and discuss in terms of how we will parent our own human children so that we will be on the same page--bring on the parenting books! :)


2 comments:

John said...

You guys are naturals with kids. Don't worry too much about it, you'll get caught up in analysis paralysis. Go with what comes natural, you know.

Amy + Michael said...

Ha! I like that John, 'analysis paralysis.' :) You are right, of course. I suppose we'll feel our way through it just like every parent. I'm still gonna read some parenting books, though--just in case.