Friday, July 24, 2009

Hello Again!!!!

Well, I have decided to take up our blog again--and I just noticed that oddly enough, it is exactly a year today since my last post. How strange is that?! I am already addicted to Facebook (as many of you know!), but it's not really set up in a format that is conducive to blogging. Besides that, I can't seem to convince Michael to set up a Facebook page. So perhaps this blog will do a good job of keeping you all up-to-date with what is happening in both of our lives.

Yesterday, we went to my parents' house and Michael helped my dad build a trellis for their front yard. They have a wisteria plant that has been in a pot for over a year and has just been waiting for the perfect structure to be built for it to grow on. The trellis turned out really great! Michael enjoyed having a project (it keeps his mind off of being unemployed), and my dad basically gave him free rein to do most of the work. Dad's arm has been bothering him, and he didn't want to get up on the ladder, so he was the project supervisor. :)

My mom had to work until 2:30pm, so I contented myself with reading one of her books while the guys went to Lowe's and dug holes for the trellis posts. After she was done, we went thrift store shopping! Of course I walked away with a few more books for my collection, but their prices were so great (under $2.00 for trade-size paperbacks), that I couldn't resist. Then we sat in the sun in lawn chairs as Michael and Dad finished up.

Dad made beef stir-fry with rice for dinner (which was restaurant-quality delicious!) and we had fresh melon for dessert along with the last of the blueberry scones I made. Mom thought the scones were especially good with a dollop of whip cream on them. She was right! We sat around and talked until about 9pm, then finally headed for home.

As we pulled into our driveway, I spotted the NASA space station sailing silently (and extremely brightly) overhead. Mom and Dad had told us that it was supposed to be visible around 9:45pm, and let me tell you that we completely lucked out at seeing it since it was moving so quickly. As I watched it, I tried to imagine the people up there, so far away, and it boggled my mind. It really is amazing that we have the technology to send people into space and bring them safely home again. It makes me wonder if regular citizens will be traveling and even living in space in my lifetime. How scary and utterly exciting at the same time!

2 comments:

John said...

sweet post! FYI you can have Facebook update when you add new posts to your blog. I'll have to show you how it works.

Bobbi said...

Yeah! Books for under $2.00!

Sounds as though you had a great visit with your folks, and I love reading blogs, so I hope that you keep on with it. You never know, you just might inspire me to revisit my blog :)

I bought a new book that looked interesting called "The Freedom Writers Diary". I'll let you know what I think after I read it, I should be starting on it tonight I think.

Hope you have a great weekend!